Friday, December 10, 2010

Eucalyptus

        Hello~~ It’s me!! Herb~
       Hey this entry will be a little bit off from Asia but by not so much =). I have found another indigenous medicinal plant that was so abundant that I could not passed them by without mentioning them. The region where I found another plant to introduce is Australia especially central and northern Australia where traditional medicine is still practiced by tribal aborigines. When I went down to Australia from all the way from Siberia, I was wondering what kind of plants would be there, should I just head back to home and rest? But when I reached there I was struck with surprise with the abundance of medicinal plant that this country have.
    Although I had in mind how indigenous people are full of knowledge with organisms around them, when I found that all members of the indigenous family knew their medicinal plants, their location, structure, values and their application, I was stunned once more. Now let’s direct our attention to one of medicinal plants.
    Out of so many plants that were listed in this country, I would like to introduce one of the plants that somehow seemed very familiar to me, eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is one of plant that aboriginal people here in Australia used for medicinal uses. Eucalyptus was a traditional remedy for a variety of ailments back in time. Internally, the plant appears to help relieve symptoms of colds, chest congestion, sore throat, and respiratory infections. Externally, the antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and warming properties of eucalyptus make it valuable resource treatment of burns. So today, it is used worldwide in pills, liquids, inhalers, salves, and ointment for many common problems.
    Now that concludes our time in Australia. I will be back when there are any more interesting medicinal plant comes across my travel.


-Herb (Dong Jin/ Jin)


No comments:

Post a Comment